How your child learns
‘The ways in which the child engages with other people and their environment – playing and exploring, active learning, and creating and thinking critically – underpin learning and development across all areas and support the child to remain an effective and motivated learner’ (Curriculum Guidance for the Foundation Stage, 2012)
Our Daycare is based on the principle that young children learn best through play, with carefully planned learning opportunities which are stimulating and challenging.
Your child will have the opportunity to:-
- Explore learning experiences that help them to make sense of their world
- Develop ideas, concepts and skills
- Learn self-control and understand the need for rules
- Play alone or cooperatively, talking about their ideas
- Solve problems and learn from mistakes
- Think creatively and imaginatively
- Explore fears and other feelings in a controlled, safe place.
Planning & Observation
Throughout your child's session their key person will complete a number of observations whilst your child plays and engages in a range of stimulating and engaging activities. These observations support planning of the next steps of learning in development to prepare your child for the next stage of education. Please find a link below to the planning and observation cycle the practitioner in Daycare use.
Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)
The curriculum for 0 to 5 year olds aims to give children lots of first-hand opportunities to learn about themselves, each other and the world around them. The emphasis is on the process of learning rather than the ‘product’ – how individual children learn is very important. Planning is based on stages of development as laid out in the EYFS documentation.
We aim to provide a balance between:
* Adult-led activities which may have very specific learning objectives
*The ‘continuous provision’ – structured opportunities for independent, child-initiated learning.
* Child-led learning and activities focused on next steps of learning
There are 3 prime areas and 4 specific areas of learning and development:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development (PSED)
- Communication and Language (CL)
- Physical Development (PD)
- Understanding the world
- Expressive Arts & Design
Please find a link below to a parent friendly version of the EYFS to support you to understand the stages in which your child learns. This document is to be used as a guideline and is used to gather children's starting points in development as they begin with us at Daycare. All children develop in an individual and unique manner, however if you have any concerns or queries about the stage of development your child is at then please do not hesitate to speak to your child's key person and they will discuss your child's individual learning and development with you in more detail.